It can be extremely challenging for couples to have and maintain a successful long term relationship, especially as they have to deal with the stress of limited contact with each other. I am going to give you a few tips on how to greatly improve your success in keeping your relationship together as you have long distance between the two of you.
1. It is important to be involved in similar activities and hobbies, even though you are apart. It helps you to keep your relationship fresh by increasing the things you have in common in your everyday lives. They will give you more things to talk about that are important to both of you. For example, you could see the same movie, or you could read the same book, so you can discuss about it afterwards. The thing is, by doing this it helps you to do things together like you would do if you were physically together.
2. You may not always have much to say, but it is essential that you have at least some sort of communication everyday. By doing this routinely, it allows the both of you to feel like you are having a part in a relationship. This is also helpful in maintaining an emotional connection with each other and keeping up to speed with each others lives and daily activities.
3. Also, it is important, even though you are apart at the very moment, that you talk and plan your future together. It is recommended that you do this quite often. It gives you a sparkle of hope, and let’s you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
4. It is often when your loved one is away from you, that you want to have some sort of control over their life. This is attributed to the fact that you are used to being with him all the time, and you know that they do. But you can also see this as a benefit of being apart. You should respect and enjoy each other freedom for the time being, even though it may be hard, but it gives the both of you time to spend your new found free time to do things you like. Seeing friends, or pursue your hobbies. It does you no good to worry and try to control your partner. If your relationship is heading south, no distance will change that. You should accept the things as they are, and trust your partner feels the same way.
5. Remember, that even though you are apart at the moment, that things get easier as time goes on, and try to focus on having the best relationship you can under the circumstances, so you will have a better relationship when you reunite.